Sunday, June 26, 2011

Artwork: Background for Ki'rin Project

As the Ki'rin project grew so did my background. What began as a simple cherry tree idea to go with my baby Ki'rin and his mother Ki'rin evolved into a full setting. Because I liked the symbolism I knew I wanted to include lotus blossoms so I had to add the stream in the foreground. The picture I used to draw my cherry tree from had a really interesting boulder so I included that too. Next thing I knew I was adding moss, flowers, grass...you name it it started appearing. Those Ki'rin are magical creatures and apparently highly persuasive!

Lotus Plants and Lotus Flowers

Close up image of part of the lotus section of the background.
The lotus represents purity of heart, divine spirit, enlightenment and good luck. It grows from murky water yet the flower is unblemished. Just as the lotus represents enlightenment, the Ki'rin is said to only appear in lands ruled by a wise and benevolent leader. The meaningfulness of both the lotus and the Ki'rin meant that, as I said, it seem to be a no brainer that the lotus should also appear in the image.

On a side note, because of this project I have gotten really good at recognizing a lotus plant versus water lillies. You'd be surprised how often they are used interchangably even though they aren't the same plant and do not have the same symbolism. I saw a commercial that was suppose to be for a lotion containing lotus root and they used a lily instead.

The Cherry Tree and All Those Cherry Blossoms
 
Close up of cherry blossoms, leaves, buds and branches.
The most time consuming part of the project was the cherry tree. I wanted to draw in each individual bud, leaf and flower. At this point I haven't yet finished them all but I've done enough to at least show what I have. I chose the cherry tree both because I love the grace of the blossoms and also because I love the shape of the trees themselves. If I'm going to talk about symbolism then I suppose I should mention that in Japan the cherry blossom represents the fleeting nature of life and our mortality. It's beauty appears quickly and dies quickly. It represents the idea of Mono No Aware or the impermanence of things and the wistful sadness of their passing. I'd love to say that in the case of the cherry tree I was being that thoughtful in choosing it but my use was far more simple in intent: I wanted to use a gentle and graceful flower and tree. Then again maybe that was exactly what I was going for after all. The subconsious is a wonderous thing.

In the end I created what I consider a pretty detailed piece of work considering this will be my first complete illustration once it's finished. I've sketched here and there and I've done lots of graphic design but this is my first attempt at anything that I would call and actual piece of artwork. I look forward to seeing it done!

Full composition. The top of the tree is still bare but, in the end, will also be covered with blossoms, leaves and buds.

No comments:

Post a Comment