Friday, June 24, 2011

Recipe: Quesadilla Wrap

This is really too easy to call a recipe but for a lack of a better word let's call it that. This is something that's sort of a cross between a flatbread wrap and a quesadilla (a wrapadilla? I like it. I think it'll become a thing.) The number one thing is what you use for the outside. I love Fold-its by Flat Out. They're only 100 calories, soft and super flavorful, especially the rosemary and olive oil version. 

To start, salt and pepper two 4 oz pieces or one 8 oz piece of beef tenderloin or filet mignon. I also like to use garlic and onion powder and a bit of rosemary. Pop the steaks into the broiler about 4 inches under the element for about 4-6 minutes a side depending on the thinkness of the steak and the level of doneness. Mine were about an inch think and I prefer them medium so I did 5 minutes on one side, 6 on the other.

While the steak is cooking slice up two large mushrooms and then julienne the slices to about a quarter inch wide and dice about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of onions (depending on how much you like onion). Dice 2 cloves of garlic (1/2 tablespoon) then put 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil into a saute pan. Once the oil is heated add the mushrooms, onions and garlic and saute them until your preferred level of firmness. I like my mushrooms to be soft but not mushy. I usually stop at the point that they've started turning dark. See the picture here.

Once the steaks are done pull them out and let them rest for two to three minutes. Next, slice the steaks into 1/4 inch thick strips. I don't like having chunks come out while I'm eatting so I also slice them lenght-wise so they're no longer than and inch long. The steak should be able to priovide meat for 3 wraps. Spread the steak on one side of each of the Flat-outs. Next spread the mushroom mixture over top of the steak and then sprinkle cheese on top. Place the 3 open faced wraps on a baking sheet and then put it back under the broiler just long enough to melt the cheese. Fold the wrap and you're all set!

For garnish I like salsa and lettuce and instead of using sour cream I opt for the healthier option of low fat plain yogurt. It has the same bite but with more health benefits.

Grocery List

• 8 oz Beef Tenderloin or Filet Mignon
• Salt • Pepper • Mushrooms • Onion • Garlic
• Flat Bread • Cheese • Chosen Garnishes 
Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment