Monday, June 20, 2011

A Not-so-Secret Garden

When I still had my house in Canton I had a huge landing on my stairs that made for a wonderful patio vegetable garden. It's one of the top three things I miss about my house. While I'm staying with Chad's mom I thought I'd make the best of it and start a container garden. It may not be the size of the one I had in Georgia but I think it'll do. 

Tomatoes and marigolds and herbs, Oh my!

There's nothing more wonderful than a warm, deep crimson tomato picked fresh off the vine, sliced and lightly sprinkled with salt.  Ever since that first garden Chad has been on me because grocery store tomatoes just don't work for him anymore. When I did my first garden all I did was stick the plants in pots and gave them TLC. One day I noticed I had some deflated cherry tomatoes and something that looked like a cross between something obscene and a tarry loogie burrowing its way into another of the ripe little guys. This was my introduction to the hornworm. I think it was in the adult stage because it wasn't the less disgusting smooth green version that I've seen in some pictures. This time around I've come prepared in a completely holistic way: around both of my tomato plants I've planted Marigolds. I've read that they keep pests away plus Chad really loves their smell and cheerful colors. 

As much as I love garden tomatoes, for me herbs were the number one priority because I use them all the time. I went for the core five. I didn't have space for sage or rosemary (which I absolutely love) but I use these the most: Basil, Thyme, Parsley, Oregano and Cilantro. Thyme is great in so many things including on braised meats. Eating humus without basil is like drinking coffee without sugar, some things just go together! I love the clean fresh flavour of cilantro and cilantro and lime rice is one of Chad's favorites of my side dishes. There's also Norman to think about. Every bunny should have a steady flow of fresh herbs and my grumpy bunz is no exception!

Turn into flowers, little buds,
I know you can do it!
I go out there every day to make sure that there are no weeds or signs of problems with the tomato plants (brown spots, bugs, bite marks) and to check for buds and, in turn, baby tomatoes. So far my tomato plant that will grow the large tomatoes is giving me the beginnings of buds but still no flowers. My patio tomato plant which will give me 2" tomatoes not only has flowers but has it's first little `mater! I'm excited. Is it wrong to look at little tomato babies and imagine gobbling them up? I'm like the big bad wolf of the tomato world, I guess. :)


My first little tomato can be seen just above
that top blossom & below the Marigolds.
Anyway, while I may not be getting the large garden that would have allowed me to start making my own sun dried tomatoes I'm happy. I'm just not me without being able to get my hands in the dirt and I feel a little more whole now. Bigger and better things will come around in the future. For now I'm content with my little garden and the little tomato that's resulting.
What's cuter? My tiny little plants or my bubbly VW Beetle? Either way, that's the only Bug allowed near my tomatoes!

6 comments:

  1. I love your garden and have been trying to start my own. I also have an area at the front of my house that needs to be replanted. Reading your blog and seeing these great photos has been inspiring me and I want to get out and do it! I love how creative and inspired by nature you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) I'll keep you up to date on the development of the Mater-tot as it gets bigger and eatier.

    I'm glad you're inspired! You seem to have lots of space s go crazy! If you g to a local Tractor Supply they may have books on what the planting times are specifically for your area. That's been the toughest transition for me. Even though I'm only 5 hours south of where I was it makes a huge difference in what can be planted when. I'm not 100% sure I'm not too late with these tomato plants but it doesn't hurt to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little cherry tomato plant and I love it ... I've gotten about a half dozen tomatoes in the month or so I've had it and there are two more green ones peeping out now.

    My problem is the expense of buying containers since, for fruits and veggies, I don't want to tear up my landlord's yard (such as it is in this drought).

    My front yard faces east and already has an overrun planted section that needs desperately to be cleaned up; and I think that some bright, cheerful flowers should help brighten the drab blue-gray color of the house. This will be my weekend plan!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Container prices add up quickly. This time I was lucky because Chad's mom had some big pots who's plants had died, I brought medium pots from GA plus she already had that big oval medal washtub.

    Renting makes it additional tough. I came across something pretty great the other day when I was flipping through channels and Martha Stewart's show was on Hallmark. She was doing a gardening segment and had these corner brackets for making raised beds. $140 seems a bit steep until you think about the size bed you can create with one set and how much the equal amount of potting would have been. It's still a bit expensive even considering that but there is the pretty factor charge. http://www.bluestonegarden.com/M-Brace-Raised-Garden-Bed-Brackets-Pebble.html

    Good luck with cleaning up your plant beds! May I suggest Mandevilla? Most places in Florida sell it and it goes nuts in the sun. I had 4 yellow plants in Boynton on my deck at my apartment and the sides of my entire porch (which was made of trellis) ended up covered in deep green leaves and bright yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think you need fancy corner brackets. All you need is some big L brackets from Lowes and some wood. I plan on planting my garden in raised beds next spring.

    My tomato plants are going crazy! My herbs didn't make it but I really didn't give them a chance. I'll try harder next season.

    I like your washtub planter! Very southern y'all :)

    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the washtub container! And, I think my step-dad would help me out with building a raised bed for planting - he's in the middle of making a hope chest for my niece (it looks gorgeous). Actually, it might be something he and I can connect on. I've always taken it for granted that he did carpentry work around the house when I was younger; it would be nice to actually learn some things to do on my own later.

    And the Mandevilla suggestion sounds great! I think a climbing vine would be helpful, too since there used to be a plant against the wall and when the landlord pulled it out, it took some of the paint off - it looks horrible!

    ReplyDelete