Monday, June 20, 2011

Song: Stardust

About a year or so ago I was moved to write Stardust. It was inspired by the idea that we are all made up of the dust and elements that have been around since the creation of the universe; that within us all is the same spark of creation. Funny enough, this idea based in astrophysics is far more spiritual in esscense to me than anything I ever learned in Sunday School. The idea that you and I are created from amazing cosmic stuff and not just simply bone and sinew on such a mundane scale. There's a far more intricate connection between you, me and the furthest reaches. Call it stardust or Sophia, either way it's far more meaningful than saying simply ashes to ashes.

Once I wrote it my intent was to turn it into a children's book with each spread containing two lines on the left page and the spread having a full illustration. I haven't had the time to do that sort of illustration work so it remains a poem (although I was told by one of the many promise makers that they wanted to put it to music for me.) For now it remains what it was intended to be: a little story dedicated to the children that have been born around the time and since I wrote it, and some that were around long before: My nieces and nephews (including Amber and Ashley Slater (Ash will actually be the face I use in the illustrations) and Tommy and Kylie), Alex and Grace Marino, Elliot Robinson, Alex Currie, and all the rest, including the new ones that are only now being expected. You know who you are. ;) )


Stardust in and all around
filling me and building round
for with the burst of first debris
came first the world and then came me

I am the earth I am the sky
I am the spark of time gone by
Born of earth and of the sea
all creation resides in me

There was a time so long ago
I was a piece of fallen snow
and further past than that, you see
the universe was part of me

So when you feel you are apart
know the stardust in your heart
for you are so much more to me
than simply flesh made symmetry

Like songs to sing and winds that blow
you began so long ago
and back again you will alight
into that place of stardust bright

2 comments:

  1. Funny enough I actually found out I was pregnant about a week after writing this comment. :D

    ReplyDelete