Saturday, June 25, 2011

Song: Tall Grass

Years ago I took a nap and woke up with some lines in my head that went "You are the dreamer (are the dreamer ) I am a beggar packing off my dreams upon a panther's back." I thought it was a cool line but I had no idea what to do with it so it stayed in my head for, no lie, the past 14 years. Today while walking I had two unrelated lines come to mind and I came home and put them down. The narrative started telling itself and suddenly I found my dreamer/beggar lines popping out. After having Chad and my friend Alison read it we decided to nix the panther though (or as I fondly referred to him, "Kitty".) It's part fantasy, part reality. While I'm not sure if it's more appropriate as lyrics or poetry, I'm just glad that I finally became inspired to create something new. This may change over time but here's the version that exists now.


  You came to me, a boy so tall and fine
Your eyes of blue, 
hair glimmering in the sunshine
And me a girl so new in the world
I thought I'd found my paradise
Every glance from you a promise
Calling me away, and carrying me away...

So I followed you, to the castles in your mind
and I stayed awhile, in those places lost in time.
And though I knew I could never stay
I came around and lay there anyway
And I watched as your wall of dreams
faded away...

Somewhere in the back of my mind
my own walls
were fading away...
and somewhere deep inside I knew
I was fading away.
Fading away...

And you were the dreamer
Yea, you were the dreamer,
and I was the begger packing off my dreams
Running deep into the night 
to a place you could not find me
and lure my mind away

The night grew longer 
with your mist at my heals
and I ran from the place that I was
hoping that you'd never find the door
But you found me there
and carried me home.

Now I live in this place of mirrors and smoke
waiting for that day
when truth was what you spoke
Not just dreams to surround me
but solid earthen walls
Not just promises made
but finally your all.

No comments:

Post a Comment